Description


Delicious and healthy recipes, cooking tips, international cuisine, and anything related to food and the culinary arts...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sandwiches Instead of a Pizza

I love a good slice of pizza but I prefer to eat a delicious sandwich instead. I make my sandwich on German pumpernickel rye bread with pesto sauce that I buy from Trader Joes, slices of fresh salami from the Russian store, slices of Kumato tomatoes sprinkled with olive oil and dried basil, and shredded cheese on top. 

I love Parmesan or cheddar cheese but I usually use whatever cheese I happen to have on hand as I don't have a store near me to go out and buy the cheese I want. Sometimes, if I don't have pesto I use Hellmann's mayonnaise that has olive oil in it. Some other ingredients that I may add to the sandwich are sprouts (alfalfa, broccoli, etc.) or sweet pea shoots. I may even substitute the pesto or mayonnaise with baba ganoush or avocados and/or salami with slices of mortadella (that I slightly fry in a skillet) or roasted turkey breast. It all depends on what I feel like eating at the moment and what ingredients I have on hand. 

When I am done preparing the sandwich I pop it into the microwave for about a minute so the cheese has a chance to melt. Once done I take out the sandwich and am ready to enjoy it. Before I do that though I take out some mixed olives and perhaps slices of avocado or a slightly hard boiled egg to go along with the sandwich. 

This sandwich tastes mouthwatering and to me it is way better than stuffing myself with a slice of pizza no matter how good it is. 

Sandwich with salami, tomato and melted cheese
with slices of avocado and a hard boiled egg
 

Sandwich with baba ganoush, salami and alfalfa
sprouts with orange grape tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment